The Kongwak Pioneer Reserve was given some “love” by some of its smallest neighbours for Schools Tree Day 2023 on Fri 28 July 2023.
The event formed part of Kongwak Hills Landcare Group’s "Love your Reserve" project, which saw Kongwak Primary School students, staff and their families come together to replenish the Reserve with over 900 indigenous plants.
After a solid mornings’ work, all broke for a delicious “Bush Foods” BBQ with UrbanWolf’s renown gourmet sausages seasoned with wattleseed and mountain pepper.
There were also 3 different flavoured macadamia and bush honey bliss balls, featuring native fruits of Quandong Peach, Davidson Plum and Lemon Myrtle.
Thank yous go out to:
• Kongwak PS PFA who organised bread from Paul The Pieman and fruit from Coles Wonthaggi and took on many volunteer roles for the day.
• Planet Ark’s Seedling Bank for funding the beautiful tubestock supplied by Wonthaggi Seed Bank & Nursery.
• Members of Kongwak Hills Landcare Group, Kongwak Fire Brigade, Kongwak Community Group who took on many tasks to prepare for this event.
• South Gippsland Shire Council’s Community Support Grant for funding toward the “Love you Reserve” project.
• Kongwak PS’s Sustainable Kongwak Teacher Damian Howard for passionately coming on board with this project.
•Mim Hook from ABC Gippsland for her interest and wonderful feature on her breakfast show.
• South Gippsland Sentinel-Times, Phillip Island & San Remo Advertiser and Bass Coast Landcare Network the generous promotion you have given our events.
KPS students will further increase their knowledge on the Pioneer Reserve in the coming weeks with 3 speciality workshops planned to support the planting day on indigenous plant propagation, the importance of biodiversity and sustainable forest health.
Project funded by South Gippsland Shire Council 2023 Community Grants Program and Planet Ark’s Seedling Bank.